Context of the organization:
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organization (INSO) is an international non-governmental organization that supports humanitarian workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free servicesincluding real-time incident tracking, analytics reporting, security-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff guidance and training.
INSO provides daily support to over 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most dangerous countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands and headquartered in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO Horn of Africa (HOA)
INSO Horn of Africa was launched in 2019, combining the platforms of Somalia and Kenya, as a regional entity and is based in Hargeisa, Somaliland. We coordinate and support INSO’s activities in Kenya, Somalia and Somaliland. Working with us will give you the opportunity to travel across the region to support national program teams.
Summary of work
As Director of Operations, you will report directly to the Director – Horn of Africa and work closely with the Director of Operations at Headquarters. You will oversee the various support services for our teams in Somalia, Somaliland and Kenya.
- Lead and coordinate the onboarding of national staff and coordinate with HQ HR on the onboarding of international staff
- Coordinate and monitor national staff performance monitoring, grievance management, etc.
- Prepare monthly payroll for national staff
- Provide support for internal and external audit requests
- Act as the in-country project management focal point for all human resources
- Support headquarters in collecting and monitoring relevant KPIs
- Act as backup focal point.
Legal and Compliance
- Ensure that all necessary legal and regulatory documents are filed with national authorities to maintain INSO’s registrations in the country
- Create a tracker for renewing INSO registration documents as well as staff visas and work permits
- Develop and oversee control systems to prevent violations of legal guidelines and internal policies
- Obtain visas, work permits and residencies as needed
- Coordinate with HQ HR all international staff deployments/visits
- Monitor compliance with national tax codes
- Lead audit follow-up and implement recommendations in all areas of operations
Facility and Asset Management
- Manage the entire scope of facilities management
- Prepare and maintain all Country Office leases and contracts with vendors
- Equip and maintain all staff facilities and vehicles
- Establish and maintain a central asset register
Supply and Logistics
- Enforce all sourcing and logistics regulations
- Oversee the full implementation of procurement processes
- Apply all controls to prevent fraud and corruption
- Conduct routine local market research for goods and services
- Check vendors and check them against terrorism or sanctions lists.
- Manage and implement INSO Fleet Guidelines Policy
- Contribute to donor reports in the area of asset management/logistics/procurement.
Safety and security
- Serve as focal point for the Global Risk & Safety Manager.
- In coordination with the Global Security and Risk Manager, meet timelines for updating the Country Security Management Plan (CSMP) and Security Risk Assessment (SRA)
- Ensure that appropriate measures are taken to protect INSO facilities, vehicles and assets
- Ensure drivers and guards are briefed on country safety protocols
- Ensure that new employees/consultants/visitors are oriented and trained on the Country Security Management Plan
Capacity Building and Reporting
- Organize training for new operations recruits
- Lead the implementation of new policies and procedures
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a recognized educational institution.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in operations, including at least 2 in an NGO or international organization.
- Highly motivated with the ability to manage multiple priorities and work to set deadlines.
- Extensive use of MS Office and experience in database management.
- Previous experience in logistics and purchasing.
- General knowledge of donor procurement regulations
- Existing knowledge of INSO and affinity with its mission
- Experience as an HRIS user or administrator
- Previous field experience in Kenya, Somalia and Somaliland in a similar role is a plus
INSO Safeguard Policy
INSO is fully committed to the safe recruitment, screening and vetting of all potential new staff, directors and volunteers and we will ensure strict adherence to our Code of Conduct and Safeguard Policy throughout the recruitment process.
terms and conditions: 12-month renewable contract, €4,550 per month salary, 4 calendar days of annual leave per month, 7 days of R&R every 10 weeks with an R&R allowance of €1,250 per cycle, global medical coverage (outside the USA ) and AD&D insurance.
How to register
Please submit complete applications to [email protected] and mention ‘Director of Operations’ in the subject line; Applications must be in English and include:
- Updated CV (maximum 3 pages).
- Cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align with this role.
Please do not send additional information. Only selected candidates will be contacted.