In this week’s Hometown Alaska, teenagers in Anchorage describe how they suffered, endured and even grew while living under the Covid pandemic. We’ll hear from teens from Alaska Teen Media Institute (ATMI), Covenant House, and MHATS, which stands for Mental Health Advocacy Through Storytelling, a nonprofit organization founded and run by students in Anchorage.
ATMI students have started creating a series called “Podcast in Place, Youth Stories from Quarantine” recorded at home due to COVID constraints. Topics include individual student reactions to school closures and uncertainty, interviews with Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Anne Zink, and a multi-generational family interview (grandparents, their daughter and their grandchildren) on immunization information and engagement management.
Two Covenant House students talk about the emotional impact of isolation and job loss due to restaurant closures during the pandemic.
The MHATS teens describe their commitment to better mental health education for young people in school, and their own ups and downs throughout the pandemic.
Either way, these students were changed by the experience of living through Covid. They also represent an age group, according to the CDC, that has the lowest rate of vaccination and booster compliance.
This program has been pre-recorded for scheduling purposes, so hosts will not take your calls during the program. However, we still want to hear from you. Please call our 24/7 registered line (550-8480) and tell us about your own experience. Have you hesitated to get vaccinated or to be vaccinated? What helped you overcome this hesitation?
This program is part of Alaska Public Media’s “Talk to Your Neighbor” project, providing trusted voices and accurate information to listeners about Covid vaccination. APM has partnered with 20 community groups to help overcome vaccine hesitancy.
HOSTS: Kathleen McCoy and ATMI’s Daisy Carter
- Caelan Vossa.k.a PeanutAlliance House
- Grace MargesonAlliance House
- Abby LauferMHATS
- Marshall ivyMHATS
- Tara SkidmoreMHATS
- daisy carterATMI and Alaska Public Media, co-host and guest
- Today’s program has been pre-recorded so hosts cannot take live calls. However, we still want to hear from you. Dial 550-8480 and leave a recorded message, 24/7.
- Send E-mail to [email protected] before, during or after the live broadcast.
- post your comment or question below (comments can be read on-air).
- The pre-recorded show air: Monday February 21, 2022 at 10 a.m.
- RE-AIR: Monday February 21, 2022 at 8 p.m.
- PODCAST: Available on this page after the program.